Are you REALLY Storm Ready?
When thinking about what it means to be prepared for a storm, my first thought is rounding up the everyday essentials. Get new batteries in the flashlight, have water bottles and snacks on hand, and charge up your phone in case of a power outage. These are the things that typically first come to mind when preparing for a storm.
While any measure of preparation is beneficial, there are a few things that many people don’t think about. These precautions can take you the extra mile, and in turn, protect precious belongings!
ASK YOURSELF 3 QUESTIONS
- Do you have priceless valuables in your basement? -- You should consider moving them
- Tubs are helpful but are not foolproof because they can flip upside down!
- Be sure your sump pump is on its own electric circuit. Have a battery backup, it will save you a big mess and hassle.
- Keep valuables at least 3-4ft off the floor.
- Where are your important documents, pictures, passwords/usernames, codes, keys?
- Make sure you have copies of any important content kept somewhere safe.
- Use a flash drive or keep a copy of your information in a lock box at the bank or other safe location.
- Do you know how many items you keep plugged into outlets in your home?
- Leaving items plugged into your outlets during a storm can put them at risk of damage.
- According to the Department of Homeland Security, you should unplug all of your appliances during a thunderstorm.
Now that you have asked yourself these three questions, are you storm-ready? Are you taking all the precautions to keep you and your home safe? If not, now is the perfect time to begin!