An Electric Take on Storm Safety
When the skies get dark and you see a storm rolling in, it is easy to think about the possible safety hazards that come with it. I know where my mind goes when I first hear about storms in the forecast and the possibility of injuries or other scary situations. I think of tornadoes, or heavy winds that can cause a lot of damages. These things sure are frightening, but did you know that you should be extra cautious of lightning?
LIGHTNING- THE SILENT WEAPON TO A STORM
According to the Red Cross, lighting causes more deaths a year than tornadoes or hurricanes. That is why it is so important to know about not just storm safety, but precautions when it comes to lighting. When storms are in action, lighting Is almost a guarantee. Here are some things that you can do to help keep yourself safe from becoming a statistic!
- Prevent going outside when lighting or thunderstorms are in your area
- Stay off computers and other equipment that is hooked up to electricity
- Stay away from doors, windows, or other open areas such as porches
IF YOU ARE IN A PINCH AND CANNOT GET INDOORS
- Do not go onto elevated surfaces: hills, mountains, etc.
- Never lie flat on the ground
- Stay away from ALL metal objects or objects that conduct electricity
When it comes to your safety, it costs nothing to take precautions and use these preventative tips.
EXPERIENCE STORM DAMAGE?
If you are injured during a storm, we will leave that to the medical professionals. If your home is impacted due to severe storms, that is where SERVPRO can step in and make your life a little easier! Call SERVPRO today if you have experienced storm damage to your home or business!