August 4th is Campfire Day - Celebrate with some Campfire Tips!
Here in Iowa, we love campfires.
Even though it’s summer, the worst of the heat has ceased for a moment allowing us to enjoy our evening with 70-degree weather. School doesn’t start for another 3 weeks so enjoy the great outdoors with friends and family. Maybe visit Deerwood Park in Evansdale or Big Woods Lake in Cedar Falls? Wherever you decide to go camping, we want you to have loads of fun and to stay safe.
Here’s some Campfire Safety Tips! *
- Find out the campground rules about building a fire. Campgrounds may already have existing fire rings or pits.
- Make sure your fire pit is 15 feet away from dry logs, leaves or any flammable objects.
- Keep your fire to a manageable size.
- Never leave your campfire unattended.
- When extinguishing the fire, drown the fire completely in water until there is no more hissing.
- If there’s no water, allow all the wood to burn to ash and cover with dirt.
- Before leaving the campground, make sure the firepit is cool to the touch.
*For more information on Campfire Safety Tips, visit smokeybear.com.
Now that we know you’re going to stay safe during your camping trip, we are ready to blow your mind with a few Non-traditional Smores!
- Graham + Banana + PB + Marshmallow + Bacon
- Chocolate Graham + Mint Chocolate + Marshmallow
- Chocolate Chip Cookie + Hazelnut Spread + Strawberry + Marshmallow
- Oreo + Marshmallow (stick the marshmallow in between the sandwich cookie)
- Graham + PB cup + Marshmallow