Prevent and Prepare for a Fire.
Fall is here and Winter is coming so we all know that we Iowan folks are going to use fire very soon whether it is to light up a fire pit or chimney to warm up during the cool nights or light the pumpkin latte scented candle to fill our home with seasonal cheer. We need to make sure we are being very careful in order to keep our precious home safe. We want to take a moment to give you 5 tips on how you can prevent a fire.
5 Ways You Can Prevent Fires.
- Make sure you keep your stove and oven clean from grease, food and flammable cardboard or paper. Never leave the food you are cooking unattended.
- Be cautious when lighting candles. Make sure candles are clear from curtains or anything really and always remember to blow out the candle when you are leaving the room.
- Clean out your dryer vent and throw the lint away. Do not collect lint in your laundry room. If an electrical issue does occur, the lint is highly flammable and it will make matters worse.
- Be cautious of your space heater. Do not plug it in a power strip that is not designed for a higher voltage. Always unplug the space heater before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Keep your cords in good shape. If you have a pet that has chewed some cords, please change them out right away because this can be extremely hazardous.
DO YOU HAVE AN ESCAPE PLAN?
It’s not a joke. Escape plans or practicing your escape plan isn’t only for schools or businesses. The National Fire Protection Association has created a grid you can download and print to help you create an escape plan for you and your family. CLICK HERE to download.
Win a Fire Extinguisher from us!
During this Fire Prevention Week (Oct 6th – 0ct 12th), we are giving away a fire extinguisher for your home. There are three things you need to do in order to enter this giveaway. First, go to Facebook and LIKE our Fire Extinguisher post which will be the very top post. Second, Leave a comment! Lastly, Share the post. The last day to enter is Oct 12th, 2019 and the winner will be announced Wednesday, Oct 16th. Good luck!!