Are you prepared?
- What’s in your basement that you would be devastated to lose? MOVE IT!
- Tubs are helpful but not a ‘for sure’ method of something being saved because they can flip upside down!
- Be sure your sump pump is on its own electric circuit. Have a battery operated one for a true back up!
- Keep it at least 3-4ft off the floor. Shelving at these heights can be more helpful for storage.
- Where are your important documents, pictures, passwords/usernames, codes, keys?
- Make sure you have copies in a lock box at a different location than your home.
- Use flash drives, DVD's, or CD’s along with a notebook entry. Keep a copy with someone else and in the lockbox.
- How many items do you have plugged into electrical outlets?
- Do you regularly leave your phone charger plugged in WITHOUT the phone? A growing number of fires caused this way!
- Know the amps available in your home. Just because there is an outlet doesn’t mean you can plug multiple items into all of them and carry the load without it causing an issue.
The lesson is don't keep your most important items in your basement because it's the most likely place to endure a loss.
For further questions, contact SERVPRO of Black Hawk County at (319) 268-1521.